- Get clearance from your Doctor if you’ve been sedentary for a long time or you have serious health issues.
- Walk a minimum of 3 days a week for 30 minutes advancing to 5 days.
- Incorporate resistance training 2 days a week working all major muscle groups.
- Set a goal of 15 weeks training to maintain consistency and see improvements in your fitness.
- Aim to achieve 15-20 MET hrs per week.
5-10 MET hrs/wk 1-4 months
10-15 MET hrs/wk 5-8 months
15-20 MET hrs/wk 9-12 months (click here to read ‘Know your METs’).
- Eat a healthy diet that is high in vegetables, fruit, whole grains, beans, low in fat and high in fibre.
- Eat a minimum of animal and animal products (less than 10% of daily caloric intake).
- Drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day (water is the most important nutrient).
- Keep a record of your training to see improvements and help motivate you.
To get started on a personalised training program or join one of Marie’s classes click here for more information.